Electric vehicle statistics mess
I try not to get involved in arguments about electric vehicles, mainly because I’m open-minded on the subject but also because there’s also plenty written for and against EVs elsewhere.
However, I do want to get into the discussion about one particular measurement that keeps being trotted out to validate the future of electric cars. It comes in various forms, and it often reads something like this:
‘80% of journeys could be made using a electric car’
‘80% (or higher) of trips in a car are of less than 25 miles’
And I’m sure that’s the case, however (and this is where my grumble really starts)… what about those other 20% of journeys? How far are they?
In my case about 80% of my journeys are less than 5 miles, but the other 20% are well over 100 miles. So if you look at the distance I drive, the stats reverse.
So an electric car is only suitable for 20% of the distance I drive.
Now, I may not be typical in my car use, but at least now I feel better having pointed this out.
PS And I know I’ve failed on my opening remark.