I’m a freelance motoring journalist specialising in the fleet and retail sectors of the automotive industry, but also regularly write reviews about the cars themselves.
I’m now lucky enough to be the editorial director of Auto Retail Network, which accounts for the majority of my working time, but I also regularly write for outlets including the Daily & Sunday Express, Confused.com, The IMI Magazine and Company Car Today as well as a few corporate clients for whom I supply car review content, newsletters and case studies.
Before going freelance under the Wheel Ideas banner, in 2010, I was the editor-in-chief of BusinessCar, a business-to-business publication for directors and managers who run fleets of company cars. Prior to that I spent time on Autocar and Automotive Management magazines.
So, why am I a freelance journalist? Well, because I needed a new challenge and wanted to spend more time with my family. I’ve two kids making their way through school and would like catch more of those special moments.
- B2B & consumer title publishing
- Monthly, fortnightly & weekly magazines
- Print, web, digital, email publishing
- Events organisation and speaker booking
- Editorial team management
- New title start-up
- Freedom of information act
- Breaking news coverage
- Feature writing
- Car & van test reviews
- Press release writing
- Social media as part of publishing strategy
- Wheel Ideas, freelance journalist
- BusinessCar, editor-in-chief
- Fleet Week, editor
- Fleet Management, contributing editor
- Autocar, deputy news editor & acting news editor
- Automotive Management, staff writer through to deputy editor
- NVQ level 4 in magazine journalism, including shorthand, law, news writing, feature writing, subbing
- GCSEs, A-levels and a BSc (Hons) in Applied Zoology (which has been more use than you’d expect in my journalistic career)
- Software: Word, Quark XPress, various content management systems including WordPress and Drupal.
- Hardware: PC & Mac literate
- Guild of Motoring Writers 2009, IAM Safety Award
- Headline Auto Awards 2009 runner up
- Headline Auto Awards 2010 runner up